The modernization of the port began in 1794 with the construction of the Corta de Merlina. The work of the engineer, Scipion Perosini, this project enabled navigation as far upstream as Seville, eliminating a 10 kilometre journey by cutting a 600m channel at Coria del Río.
The second half of the 19th century saw one of the most important transformations that the city experienced in all its history. The river and port areas ceased to be slums and became central to the economic activities of the new city that grew up around them. We are going to take a few stops to look at some of the changes that took place in the city:
The Royal Company of the Guadalquivir was created in 1814 for the purpose of modernising the Port and ensuring the river remained navigable. This was the period of several engineering works, including the cutting that eliminated the torno de Borrego.
Three years later, the Royal Company launched Spain’s first steamboat, the Real Fernando, which was built at the Remedios shipyards, in Triana.
The bridge of Isabel II, popularly known as the Triana bridge, was opened in 1852, replacing the traditional boat bridge . As the first permanent link between Seville and Triana, it would have important consequences for the future growth of the city.
There were several shipping companies operating in the port of Seville around 1860. The famous Ybarra company was founded in 1860 to build the steamship Itálica, which covered the route between Seville and the port of Bonanza.